Saturday, January 27, 2007

Wikipedia ex-citing?

Here's an interesting article that may interest teachers and students alike. The question of whether or not students should be citing material from wikipedia or depending upon the authority of an anonymous author seems to have come to a conclusion at Middlebury College.

4 comments:

Miss Mallory said...

That's kinda interesting because I actually realized I assume that the information is legit automatically, of only because I assumed there was a team of people looking at all of the information at one point to make sure it was good.

I've even seen a piece of information that was out of date and thought "They'll get to it."

Morning Dove said...

That was an interesting article. I was glad that at the end someone mentioned that there are bibliographies and sources cited within wikipedia often times if information is creditable, so the site should not be counted out entirely. People just need to examine where the information came from.

Jonathan said...

I think one woman said it best--and I'm paraphrasing here--when she said that wikipedia is a good place to start your research, but not a great place to end it. I use wikipedia for a lot of the research that I do for How to Get Rid of Things, but when I run across concepts, terms, or ideas I'm not familiar with, I tend to address at least 2 or 3 different sources to make sure I know what I'm talking about.

nrlaumei said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.